Polish AK Rifles
Polish State Factory in city of Radom in 1957 had begun domestic production of AK and AKS assault rifles having machined receivers. Initially models of AK and AKS were labeled in Polish Armed Forces under the designation of "pmK", being an acronym of first letters of "pistolet maszynowy Kałasznikowa", and meaning Kalashnikov Submachine Gun. Polish "pmK" designation was used for weapons with fixed stock (AK) and also for weapons with folding stock (AKS). In the 60-ties the "pmK" designation was oficially changed to "kbkAK" meaning "karabinek AK (AK Carbine). Its worth to mention, that the same "kbkAK" designation was used for both versions with fixed and folded stock. In addition Polish Army never used common AK-47 designation so popular in the West. In 1966 Radom factory commenced production AKM, and few years later in 1972 they began production of AKMS variant. Common western designations such as PMKM and PMKMS being equivalents of AKM and AKMS repectively, were never used in official Polish military weapon classification, and were too generally unknown in Poland. Following AKM variants were manufactured in Poland over period of time: AKMN, AKMNP, AKML, AKMLP, AKMSN, AKMSNP, AKMSL, and AKMSLP. Rifles with "N" in designation were equipped with accessory rail on the left side of the receiver. Rifles with "L" in designation existed as equipped with night vision sight system kit, while letter "P" denoted versions equipped with tritium inserts for iron sights. RPK light machine gun was never produced in Poland, however small number of RPK models were utilized by Polish army.
AK DMR version from 50ties
Top: prototype of designated marksman AK version from 1957. Below: prototype of designated marksman AK version from 1958. Photo reproduced from book "Polish Small Arms Constructions" (Polskie Konstrukcje Broni Strzeleckiej) by Piotr Zarzycki and Zbigniew Gwóźdź
In the 50-ties in Poland there were attemps to create designated marksman rifles based on AK with Type III machined receiver. First prototype was built in 1957. The second version was created in 1958. Both rifles were equipped with Soviet 3.5x PU scope, but getting away with standard mounting to the left receiver rail. Instead they utilized different scope mounting systems, both attaching however to standard AK style rear iron sight base. Polish designated marksman rifles used longer barrels than standard AK versions. Rifles were chambered for 7.62x39mm cartridge, and were fed from standard steel AK style magazine holding 30 rounds. Prototypes were equipped with fixed stocks. They were only produced in small quantities, and they've never seen service in Polish Armed Forces.
LEW-1 is a prototype Polish DMR rifle designed as element of a master's thesis by colonel Przemysław Lewandowski of Military Technical Academy (Wojskowa Akademia Techniczna). Gun was designed in late 90ties under Witold Koperski executives. LEW-1 utilizes many AK parts (machined receiver, bolt carrier, gas system, upper handguard, open iron sight's), trigger mechanism from Radom Hunter semiautomatic hunting rifle, and modified stock from PKM machine gun. Gun is equipped with PSO-1 scope from SVD rifle mounted on rail on left side of receiver. Original parts designed for LEW-1 rifle is a barrel, flash hinder, stock mount, lower foreguard, bipod and scope mount. LEW-1 fired 7.62x39mm cartridge and is feed from short, double column, double feed, 10 rounds magazine from kbkg wz. 60 assault rifle. Short magazine from kbkg wz. 60 was modified, because original magazine from kbkg wz. 60 accept only special blank cartridges for rifle grenade firing and standard blank cartridges (blank cartridges don't have a bullet). LEW-1 was developed as a study for master's thesis, and was neither intended for mass production.